About the Office of the Small Business Commissioner
The Small Business Commissioner (SBC) is an independent public body set up by Government under the Enterprise Act 2016 to tackle late payment and unfavourable payment practices in the private sector. The SBC covers the whole of the UK - England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Launched in December 2017 the Small Business Commissioner, leads an independent office aimed at empowering small businesses in resolving disputes around late and unfair payment issues and provides advice, including on how to take action if a payment is overdue.
Small Business Commissioner's Remit
The Small Business Commissioner (SBC) considers complaints from small businesses (that is businesses with fewer than 50 staff) about payment problems they are encountering concerning their larger business customers (with over 50 employees), making non-binding recommendations on how the parties should resolve their disputes.
The SBC is:
- free to use on a non-risk basis
- independent, but appointed by government
- provides general advice and information about resolving disputes and dealing with an unpaid invoice
- checking contracts and getting invoices right
- signposting to existing support and dispute resolution services.
We are operating normal office hours during the Coronavirus period.
- Visit us at www.smallbusinesscommissioner.gov.uk
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0121 695 7770 (Phone lines are open Monday to Thursday between 9am - 5pm and Fridays 9am - 4:30pm).